Saturday, May 10, 2014

We Do Hard Things

Life is hard.

Many times I look at myself and the mistakes that I make and think "Really? I just did that?" Other times I look at my failures and think "Why can't I do this? I'm a strong person. I am capable. I should be able to do this no problem. This should be easy."

Lies.

Life is HARD.

Most of the time when people ask me if playing the harp is hard I say "Not really" because I've been doing it so long that I can't really tell if it is difficult. But then I played in a concert this past weekend with a harp score that I really struggled with. Finally I had to look at it and say "This is HARD" not "I can't do it".

And I did it.

I just spent the last week without my husband. I look at other women who's husbands are deployed or in training for months. My husband was gone for ten days. In comparison what I went through was easy-peasy. But life isn't comparison. This is the first time my husband and I have been separated since we have been married. This was my first real experience without my husband. And it was HARD.

I couldn't go to sleep until 2:30am most nights because its odd trying to sleep without him there. I had to beg attention from friends and family because I had no one to talk to in those dull moments in between responsibilities (and some of those were long moments). One morning I actually got scared to go grocery shopping.

Who gets scared to go grocery shopping?

I did.

But you know what?

I did it any way.

My husbands training is very difficult. I cannot explain it because I myself do not understand or know everything he goes through. All I know is that when he walks in the door he looks ragged and worn and I know he's been through some very tough situations.

But he did it.

We do hard things. Life will always be hard. And what may be easy for some people is hard for others. We should not compare our lives with others because we all have different challenges. I can look at other army wives and say "My challenges are nothing compared to yours." Or, I can look at my own life and say "This was hard for me, but I did it. And I can do more."

I can look at others and admire what they go through. At the same time I can look at myself and admire what I go through.

This isn't about saying "My life is harder than yours". That is possibly the most selfish thing any one could say to another person. That statement invalidates someones life and all of the challenges that they ever have, are or will go through. Our trials should not be a source of pride to hold above other people to prove that we are strong.

I need no ones approval but God's, my own and my husbands.

We do hard things.

But we still do them.

I am proud of you.

2 comments:

  1. Deidre- you're totally rocking army wife life. The fact that you recognize it's not a contest- bonus. Hey, you got through ten days! I have friends who can't fathom making it through one single day without their husband.

    Just remember how strong you are for the times when you don't feel it, and it'll be there to help you fall back on. Besides- your hair is supah hot, and I happen to personally know that you ROCKED Lawrence being gone. So what you need friends to support you? We ALL do.

    Good on you, girl. Good. On. You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to think that the reason I'm doing ok is because I have good examples to watch. I admire you and your strength and compassion. I've had help from so many friends and family I can truly say I didn't get through on my own. But I Sam immensely grateful for every drop of love and care.

      Delete