Friday, November 22, 2013

There's A Little Shrek In All Of Us

So... my new family blog.... because I'm starting a new family so what the heck! New blog! Yay!

To clear any misconception: No I am not pregnant, I have just been recently married and a husband and wife count as a family. So there.

Yes I have an attitude. Yes I'm weird. But you know what? I'm ok with that, because I've come to grips with the fact that I am Fiona and my husband is Shrek. This is not to say that my husband is more ugly and smelly than I am because I can tell you right now there are moments when I am smellier and uglier than him. I am only saying that when we fart, it doesn't smell like roses. When we fight, it doesn't turn up butterflies. When I sing, little woodland animals don't scurry in to help me clean the apartment, no matter how much my husband wishes they would. The reality is, I'm not a Disney Princess and every movement I make isn't planned out in grace. I stub my toes all over the place. I mean look at Fiona. She made a bird explode. Top that.

The point is, we all want a little fairy tale, but a fairy tale isn't reality. We don't have a finite story that ends when we beat the bad guy. In our lives we will have multiple "bad guys" and many times we will have to fight them at the same time. I guess that's a good thing about being part ogre though. We're a little bit more durable.

I'm not by any means suggesting that we should wallow in trash and do disgusting things. We should, however, be aware of our inner ogre. That means that humans do human things and many times those things may be... well, less than glamorous.

That is why I have found sisterhood with Fiona. I can be a princess when I want to be, but I'm not perfect. That is true both personality -wise and physically. Does this mean I can't have a fairytale? No. I have my fairytale, but luckily mine doesn't end. I get to live my ogre life with my ogre husband riding off into the sunset every time we accomplish something together. The greatest fairy tales are those about the couple that never gave up. So join me and embrace your inner ogre a little bit. Weather out the tough storms and ride into the sunset again and again.

I'm going to have to get my husband some armor and a horse...


No comments:

Post a Comment